Birds, Mixed Media Collage Collection
Last weekend I made a collection of six small collages using prints of my bird illustrations. It is so fun and exciting to work in new mediums. I really love the way these pieces begin with a smear of paint, a print of my illustrations, and scraps of torn paper added here and there.
What amazes me is how these pieces take on a life of their own with all these disparate elements tossed in together. I try to shut off that analytical part of my brain and simply enjoy the process while learning a new way of creating.
- Put down a layer of acrylic paint and acrylic ink.
- Glued down the bird and then the other torn paper pieces with the Matte Medium.
- Added a little inkwork and colored pencils.
- Made a glaze with the acrylic ink, Daler Rowney Burnt Umber, and the Glazing Liquid.
- Let it dry, and sprayed the collaged area with Krylon Workable Fixatif.